Sunday, October 25, 2015

Thirty-One Things - Move


Move

The prompt today is “move,” which I could take into multiple directions. 

Today was somewhat of a challenge.  I was not feeling wellfrom a chronic condition that I deal with often.  It can impact my life and my mood as it does inhibit my activities without warning.  I was feeling sorry for myself.

In a funkthis is not how I wanted to spend my Saturday.  I was sitting up in bed with Baylor playing Iowa State on the flatscreen TV and said, “Enough of this!”  My first step was to MOVEget up and make my body perpendicular to the floor.  I took a shower and changed into clean comfy clothes.

I landed on the porch swing with my Bible, a book, and my journal.  I purposefully kept it quiet:  no music playing with my phone or background tv white noise.  The music of the rustling leaves blowing in the wind and the titmice challenging each other at the bird feeder were my acoustical pleasures.

I still was well off my game physicallybut even just small movement made a difference.  Movement to change my environment, to change my focus, and to lift my mood. 

Thinking about this in a practical way, I asked myself, “How can I apply this daily?”  Our environment is powerful and can greatly affect our mood.  Small movement toward change can make a significant difference.  Get up and turn off the noise.  Make a move to separate from the commercial to the natural.  Go over and pick up something encouraging to change to move your mental focus.

Newton’s first law of motion is often stated as an object at rest stays at rest and object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.  It takes intention and movement to make a change in even the smallest of ways. 

Make a move, today...



4 comments:

  1. I've found this too Denise. Moves don't have to be big to have a big impact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I never realized the impact of such a small move making such a big difference like I did yesterday! Thanks, Sherry!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely. Staying stagnant doesn't solve anything, but even a step or two means we're moving toward progress! How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! (I remind myself of this almost daily.) ;)

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is read personally by me and is deeply appreciated!