Thursday, October 8, 2015

Thirty-One Things - Makeup


Makeup Musings!

- I grew up in a household where makeup was seen as “worldly” and “sinful.” The only makeup I ever saw my mother wear was liquid foundation.

- Even though as an early teenager I would wash off any eye makeup I had used (usually a pencil liner for my lower lid), my mom could always tell!  She eventually gave up.

- Plucking my eyebrows the first time was painstaking. It was hard for me to tell what they looked like as the plucked area was red and puffy.

- Although warned not to do so, my girlfriends and I always swapped makeup, sharing colors, highlights, concealer, blush, mascara.  Experimenting was fun!

- With big dark eyes, colored eye shadow never did a thing for me.  I would try greens, blues, plums, pinks.  Only browns worked.

- I’ve spent a lot of money on makeup.  Drug store makeup.  Department store makeup.  At one time I was only an Estee Lauder girl.

- My favorite lipstick was Estee Lauder Café Rose topped with Tiger Eye.  Now, I rarely wear lipstick.  I still like it but it doesn’t last.  I’m not one to carry it around with me to reapply.  Maybe that's called freedom.

- Now that I’m older, I think about how to change up my makeup.  If you don’t change it up, you can actually look older, less attractive, dated!  Still trying to balance that.

- My favorite days are when I don’t have to work, don’t have to shower, don’t have to do my hair, and don’t have to do my makeup.  Better than that is having a husband who understands this and does not mind me being frumpy for a day.

- Maybe she was born with itmaybe it’s Maybelline!

6 comments:

  1. Ah makeup! I love it... but I wish I was not so tied to it! I love those days that I don't have to 'put on my face' - but those are the days that I don't have to leave the house either! I rarely go out without makeup! I still like color... even though I am 'older' now... I can't help it! I should go more neutral, and I do from time to time, but sometimes that purple or green calls louder than the bronzes and browns! Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have days that I don't go out without it...and days when I don't care (although going to work made up is a given). I have had times when I needed to run to Walgreens for something fast and I'd wear my Walgreen's uniform (jammie pants, hoodie, baseball cap, and NO makeup...oh yes, and flip flops). FREEDOM!

      Delete
  2. I love your approach and grace. Keep enjoying the beauty of who God created you to be.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness,,,,,you sound like me,,,,I grew up the same way you did! I enjoyed reading this so much,,,right now I am sitting in my sweats,,,no makeup,,,, unruly hair... happy as a clam! thanks for making me smile today!!

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is read personally by me and is deeply appreciated!