Thursday, October 15, 2015

Thirty-One Things - Learn


Learn.

I took a personality test at work and my dominant color was determined to be green.  Some descriptions of those with this personality are stated as:

- Searching, learning and understanding are fun
- They like to analyze, study, invent, investigate and explore
- Greens have an insatiable curiosity
- Greens seek wisdom

Pretty accurate as I have always been one driven to learning, either formally or informally, particularly those things that interest me.

While my bachelor’s and master’s degrees have served me well, there are so many things I’ve thrown myself into in the past few years.

- Birding.  I remember making an effort to find a bluebird in a nesting area with no binoculars and knowing nothing.  Found one. And the birding bug bit!  Devouring the field guide, buying a great pair of binoculars, and meeting other birders, I could not get enough of become more and more proficient in this hobby.

- Genealogy.  I have dug deep into my West Virginia heritage and genealogy in the past six years, since my dad died.  Finding treasures of photos and letters from the past, whetted my appetite to know who they were and to know the stories. Through genealogy I was able to make more discoveries.  And with more discoveries, more pieces began to come together in the puzzle, only to make me want more.  I wanted so badly to spend time with my ancestors and would go to their graves and where they lived hoping to catch a greater glimpse of who they were.

- Photography.  Since 2010, I have not been able to get enough of learning and growing this art, as well as memory keeping.  This way of freezing a moment or a memory is all encompassing.  I now am learning memory photography for families whose babies are not expect to survive after birth.


But this has only scratched the surface of what I am learning and continue to pursue each and every day.

4 comments:

  1. Fun list of things you have been learning. We have a bird feeder outside of our dining room to watch all the various birds feed and come and go. I am not a personality that loves to learn though - not a lot of patience or fortitude in this arena. I do love photography and memory keeping - I am a Project Life gal. God bless you sweet sister!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love personality tests! Which one does colors?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have so much in common. I love photographing birds and nature. I love learning and writing. I love that green is linked with learning too. I hope you will join us at Literacy Musing Mondays we are a community all about learning, reading, and writing. Here is this weeks link: http://maryanderingcreatively.com/literacy-musing-mondays-importance-of-reading-for-writers/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see we have a lot in common! I was hit by the birding bug and the photography bug about the same time--now I consider both of those activities to be my 'therapy'. Beautiful shot of a Northern Bobwhite! Have you discovered eBird and the Feeder Count projects?

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is read personally by me and is deeply appreciated!