Saturday, October 4, 2014

Diggin up Stones


I'm sure you have heard the saying, "Still waters run deep..."  And, how!  Proverbs 20:5a says,
The purpose of a man's heart is like deep water...(ESV)
Like our physical bodies, there are things going on inside our hearts that we do not see or recognize that have dire consequences.  Like cancerous tumors or calcified gall or kidney stones, by the time we are showing symptoms, we are in trouble.


Here in West Virginia where we are vacationing, it has been extremely dry.  Most of the free flowing rivers are showing all the rocks lying underneath, usually hidden during wetter seasons.

But there's a second part of that verse in Proverbs:
but a man of understanding will draw it out.
 Do you have someone in your life that can see your patterns, remind you of God's truth, point out the stones of your idols, or maybe just get you to talk deeply and discover those idols to which you are enslaved?  Perhaps a mentor, dear friend, Christian counselor?  Someone who can point you to Truth?

As an introvert, my waters run very deep.  And when it comes to friends, I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.  But I highly treasure those quarters!

God loves us so much...and knows that our secret to freedom is by acknowledging that these idols are not our life--God is.  God is the real deal where all of our needs will be fully met.  But only as we spend time with Him renewing our mind in His Word and prayer.  And God promises...
And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit within you.  I will take out your stubborn, stony heart and give you a tender, responsive heart.  Ezekiel 36:26 (NLT)
Tomorrow I will talk about my own struggle this past summer...and God's continual work in my heart.
 

5 comments:

  1. Your photos are beautiful.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touching post Denise. I KNOW I really need to be in the Word.....I used to be.....still pray.....but not walking as closely with The Lord as I know I should. Bless you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl - God knows and understands. Sometimes I spend so much on my photography, classes, creative ventures, plus work...and then God gets the dregs. I'm the one missing out. Photography is not my life; God is. Photography is just a way I can share Him.

      Delete
  3. It is hard but rewarding...and necessary to do this 'excavating' regularly. Thanks for the reminder!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is read personally by me and is deeply appreciated!